Vidivelli Thirunangaigal Nalavazhvu Sangam (VTNS) is a community organisation (CO) working for the welfare of the transgender (TG) people in Thiruvallur district of Tamil Nadu State in India. Founded in 2012, it is a federation of community based groups at the cluster level.
VTNS has 1582 members and is registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act,1975.
VTNS aims to improve the livelihoods of transgender people, build their confidence, work for their social recognition and create role models from the community.
VTNS's many initiatives contribute to the overall well being of the transgender persons.
- Investing in institutional development through resource mobilisation, membership drives, partnership with government and non-governmental organisations and ensuring statutory compliance
- Building financial security by promoting savings, facilitating bank linkages and access to insurance and pension schemes
- Improving the functioning of grievance redressal committees and increasing awareness about them among the key population
- Mobilising membership and resources for strengthening institutional development and increased reach to vulnerable women
- Advocating with public and private sector actors to sensitise them to the needs of women in sex work
- Ensuring community's access to various government schemes and entitlements
- Identifying vulnerable special key population, creating awareness on reproductive health, safe living practices and continuous medical services and providing them with mental health services and nutritious diet and ensuring their access to all government schemes and entitlements
The CO envisions working for sustainable life and livelihood improvement for the transgender people.