Social Welfare Development Society (SWDS), founded in 2012, works with transgender (TG) persons and men having sex with men (MSM) in Madurai district in Tamil Nadu State in India.
SWDS works with 852 members and is registered under Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act,1975.
SWDS aims to work for the equality and mainstreaming of transgender persons and Kothis, by promoting opportunities for education, care centres, self employment, legal awareness and through collaborations with other organisations.
SWDS provides a range of services to its members.
- Building member awareness on HIV/AIDS
- Promoting safer sex behaviour and condom distribution
- Motivating key population to do Regular Medical Check Up (RMC) and Rapid Plasma Reagent (RPR) test regularly
- Facilitating access to government welfare schemes for its members and their families
- Organising skill training, credit access and marketing support for livelihood promotion
- Conducting legal aid training and providing counseling services for transgender persons, adolescent girls and boys in distress at the village and block levels
- Facilitating social protection to TGs and MSMs
- Improving awareness on financial security and financial planning among members
- Networking with government and private sectors
- Supporting PLHIVs by providing nutritional support and counselling
SWDS envisions building a strong network with public and private sector hospitals, and ensuring ensuring social, cultural and political participation by transgender persons.