Varangana Sakhi Sangathan (VSS) is a community organisation (CO) based out of Kolhapur district of Maharashta State in India. The CO has 575 women in sex work as its members.
VSS was founded in 2009 and is registered under the Maharashtra Societies Registration Act, 1860 and Bombay Public Trusts Act,1950.
VSS aims to empower the marginalised women in Kolhapur district through holistic development intervention programmes.
VSS works to empower its members through a host of activities.
- Facilitating access to government welfare schemes for members and their families, helped 35 members to access Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Schemes, 63 members secured ration card to access subsitised food grains.
- Promoting microfinance self help groups among its members to facilitate access to savings, credit and insurance for economic empowerment
- Providing legal aid and counselling services for women, adolescent girls and boys in distress
- Preventing HIV/AIDS in the district
- Working closely with the district government hospital to help and support people living with HIV/AIDS
- helped 170 members to open an savings account through bank and Post office.
- trained 28 members as para legal volunteer through DLSA.
- establised five crisis committees to support their members during crisis situation.
VSS envisions providing vocational training to women who have left sex work, promote group income generation activities, support member's children to continue education and raise resources locally to sustain the organisation.