Soukhya Sanjeevini Samasthe (SSS) founded in 2009 is a community organisation (CO) of female sex workers in Chikkaballapur district of Karnataka State in India. SSS works towards better health, socioeconomic empowerment, and mainstreaming of female sex workers in the district.
The CO has 1417 members and is registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960.
SSS aims to support and build behavior change amongst female sex workers to help them lead lives with dignity, by identifying and organising them under a local level institution and building awareness on HIV/AIDS.
SSS provides a comprehensive range of services to improve the lives of its members.
- Building successful partnerships with public and private sectors to create an enabling environment to reduce stigma and address the socio-economic needs of the high risk communities
- Maintaining regular contact with registered female sex workers
- Organising monthly meetings for sex workers not in groups and conventions for Soukhya group members
- Maintaining focus on high priority groups
- Supporting the members financially through the activities of cooperative society
- Providing health and other need based services through drop-in-centres
- Conducting counselling services, awareness programmes, health camps and check ups, and condom promotion for members
- Influencing health seeking behaviour of all registered sex workers through behaviour change communication programmes
- Facilitating linkages to social entitlements and schemes to respond to the non-HIV needs of the members
- Supporting members to access entrepreneurship development and income generation programmes to improve their economic status
- Mobilising community and building community institution to strengthen their collective action and improve their social status
- Providing crisis management services
SSS envisions a society where all female sex workers follow safe sex practices and are safe from HIV, have access to socioeconomic entitlements and can provide for old age home and hostel facilities for the aged and orphaned sex workers.