Rakshane Zilla Mahila Okkuta (RZMO) in Gadag district of Karnataka State in India was founded in 2008. The community organisation (CO) is committed to ensuring social and economic advancement and fundamental rights of all women in society. Rakshane grew out of the HIV prevention programme with women in sex work.
RZMO supports 1797 women in sex work and is registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act 1960.
RMZO aims to build society's perspective on sex work to reduce stigma and discrimination against sex workers.
RMZO's diverse services works to empower its members.
- Continuing community mobilisation to strengthen the collective and for better service access for its members
- Securing safety, security and justice measures for members to better address crisis
- Partnering with the block and district level government departments, and technical and financial institutions to find alternative means of income for sex workers
- Investing in institutional development through resource mobilisation, membership drives, partnership with government and non-governmental organisations and ensuring statutory compliance
- Implementing HIV prevention and care services through awareness on safe sex practices, condom supply, regular health check ups and support to HIV and TB infected individuals
- Enabling better access to social protection schemes from the government
- Developing the linkages with government and non-government stakeholders for better effectiveness of its programme
- Building financial security of members through savings activities, opening bank accounts and getting insurance
The CO envisions providing the community a healthy and better life to the vulnerable women.