Nisarga Society (NS) is a community organisation (CO) of sexual minorities in Chikkaballapur district of Karnataka State in India. The CO was founded in 2011 to sustain the impact of HIV prevention services among men having sex with men, and transgender persons.
The CO is registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960 and supports 1112 men having sex with men and transgender persons.
Nisarga aims to empower the high risk groups' and saturate coverage of these groups with HIV prevention services.
Nisarga works with MSM and transgender persons and women in sex work to help them lead better lives.
- Maintaining regular contact with registered MSM and transgender persons
- Providing health and other need based services through drop-in-centres
- Conducting counselling services, awareness programmes, health camps and check ups, and condom promotion for members
- Influencing health seeking behaviour of all registered sex workers through behaviour change communication programmes
- Facilitating linkages to social entitlements and schemes to respond to the non-HIV needs of the members
- Supporting members to access entrepreneurship development and income generation programmes to improve their economic status
- Mobilising community and building community institution to strengthen their collective action and improve their social status
- Providing crisis management services
Nisarga envisions identification and registration of gender and sexual minorities in our society to bring changes in their lives and spread awareness about HIV/AIDS.